This week my grocery shopping list consisted of ground flax seed, almond milk, lentils, several cans of beans, lots of fruits and vegetables, tofu (seriously*), and NO meat. What is going on?!
Upon the recommendation of several trusted friends, Ross and I watched Food Inc. over the weekend. In turn, I definitely recommend it to every person reading this. Even if you don't make a single change to your diet because of it, it's worth a look just to consider yourself an informed consumer. Encouraged by the film, I compiled some new recipes to try, made a completely unfamiliar grocery list, and shopped like a hippie.
The notion of improving my own (and my family's) eating habits has been on my mind for weeks now, since before the holidays (see also: # 3). In general, we make a concerted effort to feed our children well - better than we eat sometimes - and we do so because I don't want them to end up like us. (I wouldn't call myself or Ross "picky" eaters, but if we had our way, we would subsist entirely on donuts, pizza, spicy ramen, ice cream, and more donuts. We don't really prefer healthy food. This is a gross understatement. Really, really gross.)
Of course, we fall back on typical excuses, like convenience and cost, which are valid in a way... but I'm also lazy and I don't even try to like vegetables, which isn't valid in any way. And besides, why should I be so concerned with my children's health, but not the health of their parents? I want to be around to enjoy (and embarrass) them for a good long time! As with all good habits, the best way to encourage them is to model the desired behavior. Parental expertise? I haz it right herre.
This week is an adventure, trying new things and detoxing from the old things. Is our family going vegetarian? I suppose anything is possible, but no, we don't plan to go permanently meat-free***. I can say for certain that if we choose to use meat in the future, we're looking into better sources, like Polyface. I haven't even started investigating other local options yet, but I'm excited to - and taking suggestions, please!
So, in the words of Tobias Fünke, let the great experiment begin! I will keep you updated on what works and what doesn't, what's awesome and what's awful... and maybe you'll be inspired to re-write your own shopping list.
*Why does tofu make people weird? Don't worry - watching the movie probably won't make you buy tofu. But if you do buy tofu for a really delicious smoothie recipe, tell everyone it's yogurt. Trust me on this. They will never know the difference, but the first step is getting them to taste it. Then they will love it. Then... no, still don't tell them.
**Ross, I'm looking at you.
***I have bacon needs. And also occasional buffalo wing needs.
manda! are you goin hippy on me?! ;P
ReplyDeleteit's so possible to be a healthy eater and still eat meat! see, i have a huge problem with those who say, "to eat healthy, eat less meat!"... i... am... hypoglycemic! protein is what keeps me from being in a constant vegetative state (pun intended). if i didn't have my protein constantly balanced with my carb/sugar intake i'd be on the floor.
but if you need assistance with making veggies yummy, i can help there.
also - i find herbal remedies to be helpful in overall immune health or general wellness. but that's as hippy as i get.
This is less about "not eating meat" and more about knowing where our meat comes from, finding local food sources, and eating more healthy meat. (Among other issues, like genetic engineering, etc. http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-issues.php) I don't necessarily think that meat itself is the problem.
DeleteI am definitely interested in both veggie recipes AND herbal remedies! Tell me everything you know.
everything i know? this requires a date.
Deleteand i know whatcha mean about the meat thing. are the omaha steaks and meats safe? because they're so freaking tasty.
as far as local food sources: lakeside farmers market! it's like 5 seconds away from my place! i'm not sure if they have meat though :/ i never looked...
I haven't seen the documentary, but someone else talked about it on their blog and I decided to go semi-vegetarian. November and December I let myself have meat for ONE meal per week. (There was only one week when I didn't have meat at all, but every other week I only had it for 1 meal.) Without changing anything else, I lost like 10 pounds.
ReplyDeleteI think I'll try it again. But P90X makes me want burgers. And steak. And lots and lots of (turkey) bacon.
Also, how can you not like veggies? I'd pick brussels sprouts over chips/donuts/okay maybe not donuts any day.
Just THINKING about P90X makes me want a bacon-wrapped steak-burger. Speaking of, I've been meaning to call ol' Tony Horton and make amends for the way I totally abandoned him last summer. Note to self.
DeleteFor us, avoiding meat will help us avoid meals that tend to be fattening (e.g. fast food). The meatless recipes we're trying are just naturally lower in calories and fat. I'm hoping to break some bad habits.
Hey! I just recently discovered brussels sprouts, and although I would still choose a donut (always and forever)... they really ain't half bad. Next stop: asparagus. (Okay, probably wrapped in a meat, I'm not gonna lie.)