Last week I stumbled upon a healthy cookie recipe, and thought I hit the jackpot. They sounded so simple (read: unprocessed, see also: resolution # 3) and looked so delicious! Behold!
1.5 cups of oats
2-3 very ripe bananas
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
handful of Craisins to taste
cinnamon
Mix ingredients, then bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
The only problem - aside from my cinnamon allergy, which I was boldly ignoring - is that I don't like bananas. I know, I know! Believe me, this isn't the first time I've tried a new recipe based around a food I dislike in hopes of magically changing my mind. (It never works, by the way.) It just really annoys me that I don't - nay, CAN'T like bananas. I try them regularly, and I always hate them. What's to hate*?! They come in their own handy carrying case! I would love to just toss a banana in my bag in a carefree manner before leaving the house, then smugly pull it out later for a snack. No, thanks, I'll pass on the fattening/sugary snack you're offering me because I have this banana. Don't be jealous. I brought you one, too. Bananas for everyone! That would be me.
After my initial disappointment (with myself, not the recipe) I realized these cookies would not be wasted. Oh, no. Because ever-nosy EV-girl was sitting beside me in her high chair, eyeballing them hard. She'd spit out her binky and was trying to draw them closer with her Baby Jedi mind power.
I had to babyproof them by picking out the Craisins, but needless to say, they were a HUGE hit with Eleanor. Next time I make them (and I definitely will) I just won't add Craisins. These cookies are a perfect healthy snack for little ones, and banana-lovers. Toss them in your bag to smugly snack on later. I'm jealous of all of you.
*The texture, maybe. And also the taste.

As I read the list of ingredients I thought "She can't eat these. She's allergic to cinnamon."
ReplyDeleteThey look good though!