Monday, January 9, 2012

Resolutions (belated)

My resolutions are slightly late this year, as our household has spent the first week of 2012 battling strep, ear infections, and incoming molars.  Just general epic misery, as you can imagine.  So I'd like a do-over.  My new year starts today!  Now, about those resolutions... 

See, I don't usually make them.  I know myself well enough to know I'm terrible with follow-through, so I don't bother with the fruitless effort that will end in inevitable disappointment.  But this year feels different somehow.  This year I'm going to become a real adult*, and here is my To Do list:

1. Blog - Yes, I mean it this time.  People regularly suggest that I start blogging.  You'd think I'd find that encouraging, but it's actually intimidating.  There's the pressure to entertain... and how much do I share?  I chronically over-share, then freak out and pull back into Paranoid Recluse mode.  (This has been an ongoing cycle for my entire life.  Just be aware of it, in case this blog suddenly disappears.  It's not you, it's me.)  Anyway, blogging.  I'd like to do it weekly, at least.

2. Take more pictures and video - I'm ashamed of how negligent I am about this.  The past few years have been a blur, and I'm afraid I'm already losing memories and forgetting milestones.  I'd also like to have more pictures taken with me in them.  I can't believe I just typed that, because I hate pictures of myself, but I think my kids will appreciate them someday.

3. Eat fewer processed foods - I believe they cause cancer.  I also believe I'm the first person to come up with this theory.  I won't investigate it, lest I get sucked down a rabbit-hole of hypochondria, but I am interested in appearing on your talk show to discuss my completely original, unsubstantiated, half-baked theories.  Contact my agent.

4. Decorate - We've lived in this house for almost 3 years, but we've been so busy having babies that we haven't really settled in.  I like to say that I'm still (ahem) "realizing my vision," but I'm really just non-committal.  Plus we don't have a lot of money or free time to pursue the realization of my visions (whatever that means).  I just need to take it room-by-room.  We'll get there, and it will be glorious.  And then I will be interested in appearing on your talk show to discuss our process, which I will have extensively documented.

5. Family rituals and traditions - I didn't have many of these growing up, so it's important to me that we create some of our own.  They can be really simple, like taking a walk together every week, or breakfast-for-dinner night, or movie night.  I also like the idea of having "dates" with the kids individually.  I very much want our children to feel secure and comfortable at home, with as many good memories of our time together as possible.  Together is a key word.  It seems like that's becoming more rare these days.

6. Get organizized - A lot of my stress comes from lack of preparation and disorganization.  I need to be more intentional about simple tasks and chores so they don't build up and overwhelm me.  Today I'm practicing this by doing some laundry.  Notice I said "some laundry," and not "ALL OF THE LAUNDRY," which is usually the dire circumstance I find myself in, wearing my last pair of clean underwear, running the washer and dryer for 13 hours on my blessed day off because we have nothing to wear.  This goes for all chores: you just have to do it as soon as you think of it.  Just do it.  There, now it's done.  Doesn't that feel better?  I like that feeling.

7. Garden - I need help with this one.  Big help.  I've failed twice for lack of time and attention, but this time I mean business.  (Note: This refers to an edible garden, not our landscaping, which is completely awful and also needs time and attention.  But that's going to have to wait until next year, because I just can't even.)

8. Volunteer - It seems like I've got enough on my plate at this point, what with all the blogging and house-cleaning and gardening and talk show appearances, on top of our regular day jobs and general child-rearing, but I'm talking about maybe a few hours every other month.  I just want to be ready to help if we are able.  Different volunteer opportunities arise occasionally through our church, and there's really no excuse to not be involved.  When appropriate, I would like to involve our kids in this as they get older.

9. Work on my wardrobe - 'Twas just after having Henry, I had an exciting notion for a postpartum project: to develop a 90's themed wardrobe.  I was very proud of this plan and eager to begin... only to be foiled four short months later, when we found out I was pregnant again.  Alas, the project was shelved indefinitely.  Three kids later, I've worn basically the same thing for the past four years - I'm lazy, I'm bored, and I'm ready to do something different.  Although I haven't fully (ahem) "realized my vision," I'm starting with floral dresses, cardigans, funky tights, and trusty Doc Martens.  It will evolve from there, I'm sure.  I need a good trip to the thrift store.

*Apparently it's not enough to be married with kids and a house and turn 30.  No, "becoming an adult" to me means finally getting a real winter coat, as opposed to just layering hoodies.  Just a simple detail that says to peers and professionals, "I know it's cold outside.  Now take me seriously."

2 comments:

  1. 1. Do it. Finding blogs to read will be an inspiration. Might I suggest www.e-tells-tales.com. Oh, and mine.

    2. A must. I LOVE old pics of my parents. Especially my dad. Ya know.

    3. Totally.

    4. Pinterest!!

    5. Breakfast for dinner was my fav as a kid. I think I'll have it tonight.

    6. OCD yet not organized? Me too!

    7. I have no advice.

    8. Just don't volunteer at an animal shelter. You'll have 18 dogs and cats cause they're all so stinkin' cute.

    9. Let's go thrifting when I come to visit. It's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't think those links worked? But

    www.e-tells-tales-.com

    and www.pinterest.com

    ReplyDelete