Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 1 recipes

Here are a few new recipes we've tried in the past week.

Apple-Cinnamon Oat Squares -  The only changes I made to the recipe were using dried cranberries (instead of raisins) and Granny Smith (not Pink Lady) apples, and I used a 7.5 x 11 baking dish (with no foil or parchment paper). 

I don't know what to say about these; I think my dad summed it up perfectly when he took a bite and asked suspiciously, "What happened to this?"  They're so good for you, and they smell awesome when they're baking... then they're just so bland and weirdEveryone in the house rejected them, but I stubbornly ate a huge square every morning for breakfast, with coffee and lots of water.  (You will need a lot of water to choke them down, because they are so very, very good for you.) 

And then... I made another batch last night.  I don't know why!  I think I just want to solve the mystery of why they're awful.  This time I used a dried mixed berry blend, and almost doubled the pecans and berries.  I also bought some honey (not to use in the recipe, but as a condiment), thinking that might help.  I haven't tried it yet, I'm too scared.  I know I should just sample it for the sake of this blog post, but... no, I won't.  You can't make me.  You'll just have to wait until tomorrow, and I'll update you then.

UPDATE:  The double berries and nuts worked!  (The dried cherries in the mix are particularly delicious.)  It's still got an unusual texture, but I've actually enjoyed eating it for the past two days, and I haven't even needed any honey.  Definitely warm it up, though.


Banana-Berry Smoothie - The only changes I've made are using a frozen mixed berry blend, not adding ice cubes, and not adding the optional sugar.  I've been halving this recipe because Henry and I are the only ones interested in drinking it.  (Ross will have some, but if I don't blend it well enough and there are rogue banana chunks, he rejects it.)

Until this recipe, I'd never used tofu before.  I bought "silken tofu*" that specified use for smoothies, and the consistency is almost exactly like yogurt.  Drinking it, if you didn't know I used tofu, you wouldn't guess I used tofu.  This is a really delicious beverage, even considering my distaste for bananas.  Henry asks for a "pink milkshake" every day, and I'm happy to make it for him.  I would definitely recommend this recipe!

Black Bean Soup  - The only change I made to this recipe was omitting the corn, which Ross has a strong aversion to.  We also topped it with sour cream and hot sauce, both of which are personal preferences. 

This hearty soup was great the first night, but my favorite thing about it was how it seemed to get better over the next couple of days when I ate leftovers for lunch - which was good, because it makes a lot!  A meal's ability to re-heat deliciously is very important to me; I've shamefully wasted a lot of food because "it got weird" overnight.  I almost liked it better the third day.  The kids didn't eat much of it, probably because the flavor was strong and unfamiliar, but I will definitely make this again.  I think it'll grow on them.

Layered Vegetable Enchiladas - The changes I made were omitting corn, using fresh (not frozen) bell peppers, and omitting "frozen leafy greens**."  Oh, and I just used my regular chili powder, which I'm pretty sure has salt in it.  I used pinto beans, and served it with mild guacamole, which I highly recommend.

I didn't know what to expect from this recipe, what with all the "salt-free" chili powder and "no-salt-added" beans and tomatoes... but let me tell you, there must be something in the lime juice.  This meal was a flavor explosion!  I mean that in a good way, of course - it was just so flavorful, I didn't expect it.  The guac (which was store-bought, not homemade, sorry) was a good neutralizer.  They are very filling, and re-heat very well for leftovers.  I will absolutely make this again.


*Sounds sexy and gross.
**I actually couldn't figure out what that meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment