Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 3 recipes

Here are the new recipes we've tried in the past week.


Homemade Pizza Sauce - I have never made homemade pizza, so keep in mind that I have nothing to compare this to, except delivery or frozen.  I chose this sauce recipe at random and got lucky - it was really delicious.  A little spicier than I'd prefer, for the kids' sake, but I blame the Italian seasoning I bought that keeps accidentally over-spicing everything I make.


One point of note: the recipe says it makes "11 servings," but clearly I don't know what that means.  I planned to make two pizzas, so I doubled the sauce recipe.  Bigggg mistake.  It made an enormous pot of sauce that I could not finish, even after making four pizzas throughout the week.  And they were sauce-heavy.  Maybe one sauce recipe is enough for eleven pizzas?  That can't be right, either.  Anyway, if you make this recipe, only make it once, and you'll have plenty leftover for anything that might require pizza sauce for the next month or so.

Pizza Dough III  - Standard pizza dough.  It was tasty enough, everyone seemed to like it.  It was quite easy, too, even as I fumbled with pizza-making inexperience.  (I actually had to Google what it means to "turn the dough out."  Don't make fun of me.)


Whole Wheat and Honey Pizza Dough - I thought I was going to like this crust more than I did.  The dough was harder to work with than the other recipe, and I missed the memo (hidden in the reader comments) about pre-baking it before adding toppings.  (Or maybe I just misunderstood Step 5 - I told you, I'm a novice!)  I had to bake it almost doubly long to get the center fully cooked, which scorched the cheese... all of this to find out I didn't like the way it tasted.  Meh.


No-Bake Energy Bites - "No-Bake Energy Bites" is a bogus name for these things; they should be called "HEAVEN BALLS."  (Okay, now that is probably the worst name possible for anything, ever.  I'm just saying...)  These things are SO. GOOD.  You must make them immediately, and then send this blogger lots of fan mail about how much you love them. 


Black Bean Brownies - While I'm super high on desserts, I also need you to make these brownies today.  Please believe me, I would never steer you wrong when it comes to brownies.  I have very high brownie standards.  I daresay these are actually better than my usual go-to brownie recipe.  They taste great and they're incredibly moist and fudgy, even the next day.  (I don't know how they'll be after two days, because I'm pretty sure they won't last that long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment