Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Henry's 4th birthday

Oh, Henry!  How much can be said about one boy!

(March 2008)
There is certainly something inherently special about being First.  Our first child, the first grandchild and nephew on both sides, the first great-grandchild... You were met with so much excitement and anticipation and love!  Now, still, everybody who meets you gets a thrill.   


You are a true delight, my boy.  Spirited and animated, funny and smart, loving and sensitive.  You are a lovely child, exceptional in so many ways.

The past four years have been a busy, blurry time for our family, including working through serious speech delays, a few sensory issues, and some mild autistic tendencies.  I marvel at how far you've come in the past two years.  Through the hustle and bustle of our daily routine, I try to soak in my Favorite Moments every day.   I know you're starting to build memories, too.

Waiting for the school bus.

You've loved music and drumming since you were a wee babe; I love when you're able to jam out with Daddy.  I love our kitchen dance parties; I love that you're starting to sing along.
 

I love watching you "read" your books, making up your own stories.  I love your drawings (even the creepy faces).  I love our weekend naps together.  I love that you're getting opinions and developing favorites, even if they change in a matter of moments.  I love that you're starting to recognize feelings (tired, hungry, sad, EXCITED!!) and ask for what you need. 


I love when you tell me, out of nowhere, "I love you, mine Mommy."  Sometimes you call me your "best friend," sometimes I'm your "buddy."  I get a kick out of your compliments: "I like your hair!" is a common one, along with "What a great idea!"  I waited so long to hear you speak, it never gets old hearing what's on your mind.


I am fascinated by you.  I think you're so cool.  I really like you.  


Now, of course there are Least Favorite Moments, like the eye-rolling and "mean face" routine you've been doing for the past couple of weeks when you don't get something you want.  It's very unlike you, but it's normal for your age. 

We're having a lot of talks about attitude, patience, using kind words, being respectful... I'm positive you're soaking it all in - as you do the lyrics to songs you've only heard once, or questionable lines from your favorite movies - but at your age, you're all impulse.  I understand that.  We'll keep working on it.  (I could use a lesson or two on patience and attitude myself.)

Made of mischief.
Evil Henry!
 You still have moments of uncertainty, times when you get overwhelmed and I see your brain working overtime; I notice your tics, I see you struggle to process and regulate.  But these things don't define you, not by a long shot.  You can't be labeled.


You inspire me to be open and fearless.  You always try.  You are made of magic and joy and energy and love.  It's hard to believe I had any part in creating such an amazing thing, and I do not take my responsibility as your mother lightly.  I do not take any moment for granted.  I am proud of who you are already, and I am excited for the person you are becoming. 


You started it all, and you changed me forever.  I want to protect all the good things you are and never forget these early, blurry years.  I want to stay close, mine buddy, so that when I'm old, you can help me remember all the fun we had in our little house on Lydell.

We love you so much, beautiful boy.
Happy birthday <3

6 comments:

  1. Now I'm bawling AND at work. So. Much. Love. Awesome tribute to your little man. Someday he'll read these words and he'll know, if he ever doubted it for a moment, just how special he is. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pal. <3 And thank you for always being a great resource/example/support for me as I figure out this "mom" thing! Your awesome family is an inspiration to us, we are truly blessed to know you.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful! The first time I met Henry, he tripped while running. Landing face first, with his arms straight out, he just lay there sprawled on the carpet. I asked if he was okay. With his face still smushed into the ground he replied, "Yeah." When he still didn't get up I asked if he was sure. He said "...Yeah." Then he got up and took off running down the hall again, like nothing had happened, SO EXCITED for some more juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's definitely him - unstoppable. When he falls or trips or stumbles, he's quick to jump up and shout out (before I even have a chance to ask), "I'M OKAY, MOMMY! I'M OKAY!" Nice recovery, champ. I like that attitude. :)

      Delete
  3. So sweet. Happy Birthday Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So precious!
    You have such a cute little blog and an equally cute family:)

    <3 Leney

    agirlnamedleney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete