Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 4 & 5 recipes

Quite belated, here are the new recipes we've tried in the past couple of weeks.

Lentil Soup III - I halved this recipe and it made plenty for us, plus leftovers.  It was fine, I guess.  I liked Lentil Soup II better. 

Are you sensing my waning enthusiasm for lentil soup?  It's actually not the lentils' fault - I'm blaming cumin.  I've used it in at least half of my recipes over the past month, and I'm tired of it.  I don't want to taste cumin anymore.  I'm burnt out, cumin.  We need to take a break.  I need to see other spices for a little while.  I hope you understand.

On the other hand, I've been very excited about my new cookbook, Cook Without a Book: Meatless Meals.  We've tried several recipes already, some more than twice!  I would definitely recommend this book.  She provides a basic recipe, then several lists of options (spices, cheeses, fruits, veggies, etc), and she even includes her own favorite combinations to give you ideas to start with.  I appreciate this because I'm hesitant to experiment in the kitchen, I like being told exactly what to do - but sometimes I'm out of an ingredient or two, and it's nice to know variation possibilities.


I'm not sure of the implications of copying these recipes onto my own blog.  I suppose if I give credit where it's due, I'd be safe... but I'm sure Ms. Anderson wouldn't like folks getting her goodies for free, if you know what I'm sayin'.  Perhaps I can tempt you into buying it yourself... or at least checking it out at the library.

Skillet Potatoes & Eggs (p. 48) - These are great for dinner; filling and comforting, like breakfast-for-dinner should be.  I've made them with basil, oregano, and provolone, but there are countless other options in the book that I can't wait to try. 

Egg Wraps (p. 34-36) - Basically a breakfast burrito.  I've made them with spinach and provolone, and roasted red pepper and Monterey Jack.  Very tasty and satisfying.  (There are some fruit/nut options, but I don't think I'm ready to eat fruit with my eggs.)

Scones (p. 64-67) - Oh, scones.  I didn't know how much I loved you until I baked you myself.  I've made three different flavors so far:  lemon-rosemary, cinnamon-chocolate chip, and cheddar-scallion.  They're a little annoying to make (if you hate grating frozen butter, as I apparently do) but so very worth it. 

Simple Pizza Dough (p. 221) - My favorite dough recipe so far!  Very easy and versatile, and makes enough for 8 small pizzas.

No-Cook Pizza Sauces (p. 221) - Red sauce, white sauce, and pesto sauce.  All incredibly easy, and all delicious.  It's been so hard to choose a favorite, I usually make at least two at a time, and do the pizzas half-and-half.  I love using the white sauce with mozzarella, spinach, cherry tomatoes, red onions, and banana peppers.

Fruity Breakfast Pizza (p. 42-43) - Using the same dough recipe, you create a "sauce" from reduced fat cream cheese + flavoring of your choice.  (Options include lemon or orange zest, ground ginger or cinnamon, and almond or vanilla extract.)  I usually make both cinnamon and vanilla, and do the pizzas half-and-half.  The topping choices are endless, but we like blueberries and raspberries with sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey.

Lentil Tacos (p. 266) - What is it about lentil recipes?  They always make SO MUCH.  Really, almost too much.  These were a tasty new version of a family favorite.  Even the kids liked them.  I didn't mind eating these leftovers for a few days, but the chili lentils outlasted our tortilla supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment