Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 2 recipes

Here are a few new recipes we've tried in the past week.

Blueberry-Pineapple Smoothie - I actually got this recipe out of a magazine, which featured an attractive photograph, but I could not find that reference online.  This is basically the exact same recipe.  I used orange juice, not pineapple.  The secret ingredient in this recipe is spinach (!), not tofu, so I made Ross taste it before I told him.  He loved it anyway!  Henry really loved it, and asked for more.  Silas hated it, but he hates most healthy things.  A definite winner, I've already made it several times.

Lentil Chili - The only change I made to this recipe was halving it, and it still made quite a lot.  This was my first time cooking with lentils, and I really like their flavor and texture.  They're very filling, too.  However, I didn't like this recipe.  It's hard to explain what I didn't like about it, because I like most of the ingredients; the best I can figure is I've never used vegetable broth before, and the kind I used set a very tomato-y undertone for the whole dish.  Plus you add the diced tomatoes.  And the red peppers.  Maybe it just tasted too "red" for me.  I gave it an honest try, but I will not make this recipe again.  The kids didn't like it either.

But!  Trying lentils inspired me to find a lentil recipe our whole family will eat and enjoy.  They're so inexpensive and delicious, not to mention they're a great source of protein, fiber, and iron.  I might be in danger of becoming lentil-obsessed. 

Lentil Soup II - I broke the vegetarian edge by choosing this recipe, which uses beef broth.  It may be no coincidence that I really, really liked it.  I wish I'd read more of the comments on this recipe before I made it, because many people had great suggestions for using it as a base and making lots of additions (garlic, carrots, celery, etc) which sounds wonderful.  The Italian seasoning I used had crushed red pepper in it, so the soup definitely had some heat.  Ross and I liked the flavor, and the kids wanted to eat it, but it was a little too spicy for them.  I will definitely try this again with a few minor changes.   

Black Bean-Smothered Sweet Potatoes - We tried this recipe twice.  The first time, the beans-to-potatoes ratio was way off - there was A LOT of bean mixture leftover.  The second time I halved the beans (although I could've just doubled the potatoes) and it was more appropriate.  

This was a really frisky flavor combination - it sorta blew my mind.  I have to admit, until these past couple of weeks I'd never eaten a sweet potato.  (I know, I'm a freak!)  So not only was this was one of my first sweet potato experiences, but I'd certainly never considered eating them with savory or spicy flavors.  I would recommend this recipe, for sure, but I don't think it'll become a regular meal for us.  The kids weren't into it.

Sweet Potato Fries - I got this simple recipe from my friend Brittany.  It's a big hit with everyone!  I make them one potato at a time, which is enough for us to share as a side dish... although I could easily eat them ALL by myself, they are so delicious.


Peel your sweet potato.  Cut it into fry-like pieces.
Spread in single layer on a baking sheet.
Mix 1/2 C olive oil, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp salt.
Pour over fries, making sure they're evenly coated.
Bake at 350 for 15 mins... flip the fries, then bake for another 10-15 mins.

Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas - My mission was to find something healthy and satisfying for Ross to snack on when he's got the munchies.  (Which is, seriously, ALL of the time.)  These turned out great - although you definitely have to watch them for the last few minutes, like the recipe says, or they will burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment